Its obvious that in recent years the leadership of most terror groups have become aware or were killed because they had an electronic footprint and could be tagged as target. More and more these groups implement Missile Warning Systems and professional advanced countermeasures to prevent or disrupt the possibility of electronic footprints.
OSINT capabilities to gather electronic footprints seem strong. At least the thousands intelligence amateurs confirm that by trawling social media and filtering networks for valued information, meanwhile creating a self-sustaining 'business'.
Creating a chaotic mix of information that:
- is already available because 'remember' that's why its called OSINT
- is created, induced or leaked by 'professionals' to manipulate actors and reporters to confirm 'facts'
- is alleged, reported, interpreted, analyzed by media, witnesses, spokespersons, officials and experts
Military Intelligence professionals that 'task network', have occasionally determined (and eliminated) 'valued' targets by integrating OSINT and HACKING with HUMINT and TECHINT into a 'Cloudular Network'.
Not linear but cloudular, which means one asset will lead to others quickly and efficiently as we pull the various threads of information allowing clients to move in many directions at the same time or follow one specific aspect if required.
Counter ISIS Cloudular Network Tasks:
- determine ISIS logistics chains and supporters in order to identify nodes and support cells.
- ID the security practices and people that ISIS applies to visitors to the caliphate such as journalists, businessmen and recruits
- Determine ISIS travel profiles, travel operations and patterns of travel to the US, Europe, North Africa, Asia and the Middle East
- Provide electronic footprint on any and all aspects of the ISIS caliphate in Syria, Iraq, Libya and elsewhere as available
- Develop additional assets to meet requirements as tasked
It appears that Baghdadi enforced 100% countermeasures to prevent all forms of identification through electronic footprints. Which until recent made it impossible to tag him for a precision strike. Developing HUMINT Inside his personal eco-system remained the only viable option to eventually tag him.
Turkey and the Kurds have a fast amount of HUMINT on, and assets in, ISIS. An ongoing AML Investigation into a financial nexus Terrorism - TOC (Transnational Organised Crime) revealed the connection of a human trafficker and a smuggler of armored cars the logistics chains of ISIS and its leadership